Remove someone from the roll

People can be removed from the roll in some circumstances.

Someone has passed away

We receive a notification when a death certificate is issued in Australia.

If the death happened outside Australia, you will need to send us a copy of the death certificate by post or email.

If the person has recently passed away and you know of an upcoming election, you can email and we can note it on our records.

Please include the following information:

  • your full name, address and contact number
  • your relationship to the person who passed away
  • their full name
  • their enrolled address
  • their date of birth
  • the date and location of their death.

Someone is incapable

You can apply to remove a person from the roll if they are incapable of understanding the nature or significance of enrolling and voting. This may be due to a medical condition or an injury.

A medical practitioner (for example, a doctor or a psychologist) must complete the medical certificate section on an objection form. We write to the person to give them a chance to contest the decision before removing them from the roll. 

Someone is in prison for more than 5 years

Anyone serving a prison sentence of 5 or more years cannot vote in State elections and may be removed from the roll. They can re-enrol when their sentence has finished (including any parole period).

There are different rules for prisoner voting in Federal and other state elections.

A person who is serving a sentence of less than 5 years remains on the roll. During an election, they can vote by post. We also set up mobile voting centres at some prisons during a State election.

Someone has incorrect or inaccurate details

If you believe that a person is incorrectly enrolled or their details are inaccurate, you can lodge an objection to their enrolment. This is handled by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC)

To lodge an objection, you need to:

  1. complete the objection form and lodge it at the AEC office for the division where the person is enrolled
  2. pay a $2 deposit.

You must be enrolled in the same electorate as the person named in your objection.

For more information, please contact the AEC on 13 23 26.

Living overseas

You should let us know if you move overseas as you may be removed from the roll. You can:

If you are living overseas but would still like to vote, you must register as an overseas elector.

Find out more about voting overseas.

Moving interstate

All electoral commissions in Australia work together to keep your details up to date.

If you are moving out of Victoria, you must update your details on the electoral roll with the Australian Electoral Commission. They will notify us and the electoral commission of the state or territory you have moved to.